Before social media, before endless scrolling, and before every game needed to be downloaded onto a phone, there were little online worlds where I spent pieces of my childhood.
Some of them were games. Some were virtual worlds. Some were places where I could dress up an avatar, decorate a room, meet strangers, or simply wander around without really knowing what I was doing.
I grew up not having a lot of friends, so these games became a surprisingly big part of my childhood. My grandfather used to own a computer shop, and because of that, most of my family grew up playing games like Conquer Online and Eudemons Online.
I was young, I was a complete noob, and I definitely made some questionable decisions. like getting married in an online game and getting scammed out of my grandfather's items.
But looking back now, those little virtual worlds meant more to me than I realized at the time. Some of the games are gone. Some are still around. And somehow, years later, I still find myself returning to a few of them.
So here's a little trip down memory lane: the games I grew up playing, the virtual worlds I used to disappear into, and the ones I still play until now.
Conquer Online
Conquer Online was this massive multiplayer online game set in a fantasy version of ancient China. I remember always choosing the Water Taoist as my character class.
It was one of the games I remember being really popular back in the early 2000s. I started playing when the available classes were still Trojan, Warrior, Archer, and Taoist. Later, when the Ninja class became available, I tried transitioning from Taoist to Ninja.
Emerald was always our server, and I have a funny memory of getting in trouble because of the marriage system in the game. I was still so young when I played the game so my family was shocked to find out that I was already married in an online game.
Looking back, it's honestly hilarious.
Eudemons Online
Eudemons Online was another fantasy multiplayer online game. Its world had a blend of heroic warfare and fantasy, set in the magical continent of Cronus. It felt like a medieval fantasy realm inspired by European mythology, with beautiful buildings, castles, and monsters.
During my time playing, I remember the character classes being limited to something like Warrior, Mage, and Paladin.
I was such a noob back then and was always stuck around level 75. My grandfather used to play the game before me, and he was amazing at it. He had all these really cool items, and he would give me some of them to help me out. I remember getting like a super set back then.
Unfortunately, I eventually got scammed by another player and ended up trading away the items.
I also want to point out that around this time, I had only recently learned how to read, so my reading skills were still a little off. Which probably explains a lot about how I got scammed.
Y8 and AdventureQuest
My brother did try to recommend other games for me to play, like Y8 and AdventureQuest, especially since they were good for single-player gaming.
And honestly, I still play games on Y8 until now.
There are so many fun games there, and I might make another blog post about some of my favorite Y8 games soon.
Discovering Virtual Worlds
When I was around 8–12 years old, I started discovering a completely different kind of online gaming.
I found games and virtual worlds like OurWorld, Club Penguin, BarbieGirls.com, Habbo Hotel, and Gaia Online.
These were the kinds of games you could just find online and play without having to download anything. They were little worlds you could simply log into and disappear into for a while.
Of course, I was still too young to play some of these games.
I remember faking my date of birth during registration just so I could make an account.
Apparently, lying about my age on the internet was one of my earliest gaming skills.
OurWorld
OurWorld had such a unique virtual world, with edgy fashion, dancing, and all kinds of places to hang out. I was crazy about this game.
One of my favorite places to hang out was The Buzz at The Boardwalk. You could play as a Barista, which I remember being really fun and interactive. Other players could order drinks, read magazines, play music on the stereo, and work as a Barista.
I also loved hanging out at Flo's Diner, which was one of the popular social hubs on Electric Avenue.
What I loved most about OurWorld was the interaction. Players could place orders, and other players would actually take those orders and serve items in the virtual environment. It made the world feel alive because you weren't just playing beside other people. You were actually interacting with them.
I was really disappointed when the game was shut down.
I'm still hoping for its comeback!
Club Penguin
Club Penguin was another virtual world, but instead of human avatars, everyone played as adorable cartoon penguins.
Everyone was waddling around, meeting new people, and exploring this cute, Antarctic themed world.
But my favorite part of the game was CARD-JITSU!!!!
I was so happy when I finally reached the Black Belt in Club Penguin. That felt like a serious accomplishment back then.
The original game ran from 2005 to 2017, but there are fan-made private servers that allow people to experience the game again.
It's kind of amazing that something that was such a huge part of my childhood can still exist through the people who remember it.
BarbieGirls.com
BarbieGirls.com was the first(and I think only?)online virtual world created by Mattel.
The game closed in 2011. It was centered around Barbie, with girl avatars that players could customize. Players could play mini-games to earn B-Bucks, which could then be used to buy clothes and furniture to customize their avatars. I swear I think the girlies who played this game were baddies.
But what I was really obsessed with was the physical Barbie Girls MP3 player.
Mattel released an avatar shaped MP3 player that could be connected to the BarbieGirls.com experience. I desperately wanted my parents to buy it because registering the device could unlock things like VIP membership, access to exclusive areas of the map, outfits, and other content.
I wanted that MP3 player so badly.
The official website is now shut down, but I think there are archival projects and fan preservation efforts, like Barbie Girls Rewritten, that try to recreate or preserve the classic game and its experiences.
I love that people are still keeping pieces of these old virtual worlds alive.
Habbo Hotel
Habbo Hotel is one of those games that is still around today, and I actually created a new account. It's a pixel art design, isometric style virtual world where players can customize their own rooms and create themed hangouts. You could make all kinds of rooms like agencies, coffee shops, jungle mazes, rooftops, and so many more.
The game is still standing strong and has an active community.
Back then, I remember there being different kinds of celebrity visits. They would sometimes appear in auditoriums or Habbo cinema-themed rooms, where players could attend live in-game Q&A sessions.
My old account still exists, and I was actually able to find it.
But now, I'm using a new account.
You can find me hanging out at Pies Apartment Complex, where the rent is free.
Gaia Online
And then there's Gaia Online.
Gaia is an anime themed social networking, gaming, and forum based virtual hangout. The forums and community cover all kinds of topics, including art, creative writing, roleplaying, and general discussion.
But my favorite has always been Chatterbox.
Players can create and customize chibi style digital avatars with an endless selection of clothing and accessories. Then hangout at Virtual Hollywood, Rally, and Towns. Everyone also has their own profile, which they can customize with different layouts and appearances, including themes and custom CSS.
There's something really special about these games.
You weren't just creating an account. You were creating a little version of yourself. You were interpreting another part of your soul.
The part that couldn't always be seen or expressed in the real world, but could exist freely in a virtual one. You weren't being fake. Sometimes, there are simply parts of us that reality doesn't give us the space to express.
These games are old, but they will always hold a special place in my heart.
They were part of my childhood, especially during a time when I didn't have many friends. They gave me worlds to explore, characters to become, and communities to belong to.
Maybe that's why I still come back to them.
In a world filled with Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and newer ways of connecting, there's something comforting about returning to these old games and finding people who remember them too.
Old but they are not forgotten.
Some images are included for commentary and nostalgia purposes. Some images in this post were found through Google Images. I was unable to identify the original creator or source. If you are the copyright holder of an image used here, please contact me for proper attribution or removal.

















No comments:
Post a Comment